Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My "To Read" List Keeps on Growing

Detroit City is the Place to Be: The Afterlife of an American Metropolis by Mark Binelli is on my must read list.  Just released November 13th the book shows Detroit hitting rock bottom with crime, poverty and ruin and catches a glimpse of Detroits future as a greener, economically diverse (and better functioning) city.  Detroit City Is the Place to Be is one of Publishers Weekly's Top 10 Best Books of 2012.

Next on my list is Justin Cronin's The Twelve.  If you haven't read the first book in this series - do so!  The Passage is an apocalyptic novel of man's own manufacture and the story of a young girl, Amy, who is destined to save the world.  The Passage was named one of the ten best novels of the year (2010) by Time, Library Journal, The Washington Post, NPR and more.

I'm seeing a trend in my 'to read' list.  It looks like I lean towards the best books of the year.  I do have a few other titles on my list including the Oxford Public Library Book Club selection (December 5th meeting at 1:00 pm if you are interested!):  In The Sea There Are Crocodiles Based on the True Story of Enaiatollah Akbari by Fabio Geda - the story of a young ten-year-old boy from a small village in Afghanistan.  When the Taliban takes over his mother moves him to Pakistan but has to leave him.  He makes his way on his own through Iran, Turkey and Greece before he finally gets politcal asylum in Italy at the age of 15.

If you read my earlier post about J.D. Robb you know I'm working my way through the 30 plus books in her In Death series (I'm up to number 13).  On my Overdrive downloadable book list is 101 Things to do With Pudding!  SG




No comments:

Post a Comment