Monday, November 26, 2012

Read, Repeat

Still Alice by Lisa Genova is another World Book Night (WBN) selection for book givers.  I’m trying to work my way through the entire 30 title list from WBN as they all look like great titles.  I’ve actually read quite a few on the list and after I got half way through Still Alice I realized I had in fact read it already, probably when it was first published in 2007.  It’s the 2008 winner of the Bronte Prize and was a New York Times bestseller so you know it’s going to be a good read and I fully enjoyed it the second time around.  It’s the story of Alice, a fifty-something Harvard psychology professor, who develops early onset Alzheimer’s disease.  As the disease progresses you see how it affects her life and touches her friends and family.  What could be a sad and depressing book is actually very compelling and moving.  This would make an excellent book discussion selection and it certainly gives you a lot to think about. SG

No comments:

Post a Comment