Friday, April 19, 2013

National Poetry Month

April is National Poetry Month and the library has many books of poetry on display for your browsing pleasure (and fun activities throughout the month!).

One of my favorite books of poetry is The Hungry Ear: Poems of Food and Drink edited by Kevin Young. It could be the topic of food and drink but I think I enjoy it so much because Mr. Young has put together a well thought out and diverse collection of over 150 poems. Contributors include Elizabeth Bishop, Billy Collins, Seamus Heaney, Rumi, and many more.

From the chapter Soup Lines & Staples, a poem by Langston Hughes: I, Too, Sing America:

I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I’ll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody’ll dare
Say to me,
“Eat in the kitchen,”
Then.

Besides,
They’ll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed –

I, too, am America.

- Langston Hughes

Let's hear some of your favorite poems.  You can comment here or join us on Facebook or Pinterest.  And stop by the Library with a 'poem in your pocket.'  We'd love to hear from you!  SG


No comments:

Post a Comment