Thursday, December 19, 2013

Book Discussion Recommendation

It’s that time of year when we start seeing all kinds of “best of…” lists.  While reading about the best book discussion selections of 2013 I came across the title Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm during the GreatDepression by Mildred Armstrong Kalish.  I was intrigued by the unusual selection, and because I belong to several book groups decided to read it.  I have to admit that reading about The Good Old Days was thoroughly enjoyable.  This was not a book about the deprivations most suffered during the Depression but more about clean, honest work on a farm and finding fun in something as simple as the weather.  The book includes recipes and how-tos and reminds me a bit of a Little House on the Prairie episode.  It will leave you longing for simpler times.  SG 

No comments:

Post a Comment